You must answer “YES” to all of the 5 below questions for it to be reasonable to increase the intensity (in some way) of what you’re currently doing:
1) Can you perform 3 or more successive sessions at this level (at the same or improved levels of endurance, strength, and control)?
2) Are you pain/injury free (no “mostly” allowed)?
3) Are you avoiding any increased tightness or stiffness?
4) Are you moving better (with greater coordination)?
5) Are you feeling better/more energetic (from hour 1 to 48 hours after)?
“YES” for all? Then you are ready to increase stress up to 10% this next session (pick no more than one variable at a time or you’ll never know what is or is not working – decrease rest between sets, increase weight lifted, increase work period, or increase speed or distance – every one of these variables matters more than counting repetitions). “NO” for one or more? Those are now your primary areas of focus in training (for now).